Eye herpes and conjunctivitis are used interchangeably. Although the two are not the same, there are people who confuse eye herpes with conjunctivitis and suffer unknowingly. They often think that eye herpes is rare and they will be the last person alive to have the trouble in their lives. If you also think so, The National Eye Institute has some eye opening stats for you. According to the National Eye Institute (NEI), approximately 400,000 Americans have experienced some form of ocular herpes in their lives. In addition to this, according to the data collected from past several years, it is also observed that close to 50,000 new and recurring cases of eye herpes trouble people for no valid reason. So, eye herpes and conjunctivitis are not one and the same, but eye herpes is not as uncommon as you think. In case you are still unaware of some crucial aspects about eye herpes and conjunctivitis, we will today see everything related to the two.
As far as eye herpes is concerned, we are always more interested in eye herpes treatment rather than knowing in detail the distinguishing symptoms. However, knowing the symptoms in depth helps in early diagnosis and with early diagnosis, you win half of the battle. Eye herpes and conjunctivitis are generally confused because we don’t know the distinguishing symptoms of eye herpes. Yes, eye herpes is an infection, but you must agree it is an extremely painful one. It is caused by a virus called herpes simplex type 1, but allopathy doesn’t have anything that can kill the virus. Eye herpes and conjunctivitis are not the same, but they have so many similarities. Today, we will see how to distinguish eye herpes and conjunctivitis. In addition to this, we will also throw light on some eye herpes treatment options.
First of all, you must note that eye herpes and conjunctivitis are not the some, however, herpes is responsible for one of the most acute forms of Conjunctivitis, which involves both the conjunctiva and cornea. The factors that put you at the risk of eye herpes and conjunctivitis are more or less same. Direct contact with a person affected by Herpes simplex virus or conjunctivitis can lead to transmission of the infection. In fact, not only with direct contact, but with the sharing of infected items also the infection can pass on. Usually eye herpes and conjunctivitis both spread in offices, classrooms, day care centers, and crowded spaces with shared furniture. Regular use of contact lens can lead to conjunctivitis but not eye herpes since eye herpes is a viral infection.
Now you know the probable places from where you can get eye herpes and conjunctivitis, let us move on to see the symptoms of eye herpes and conjunctivitis. Here is the list of some unusual symptoms. While some of them are common, many others either occur in conjunctivitis or only in eye herpes.
SYMPTOMS OF EYE HERPES AND CONJUNCTIVITIS
- Tearing is a symptom of eye herpes and conjunctivitis both. As the infection progresses to the next stage, this symptom will becomes severe. Apart from tears, eye herpes will have some unusual discharge. Generally eye herpes infects one eye, and from that eye you will see some watery discharge coming out all the time. This discharge will be more if you try to focus on something like television or laptop.
- Swelling around the eyes is also one of the primary symptoms of eye herpes. Due to discharge or multiplication of herpes virus leading to development of sores, you may observe swelling in one eye or in bath the eyes.
- Infection, usually affecting only one eye is seen in eye herpes and conjunctivitis. An infection may develop at the initial stage or following itching. Generally the eye herpes infection only affects one of the eyes and only in rare cases the virus affects both the eyes.
- You might have heard about sores near lips, cold sores on genitals and also on the face, but can you imagine cold sores developing in your eye? Yes, right into your eye and not near or in between them. It is as hard to bear as it is to imagine.
- Redness and itching are also common in both the problems. The discharge, tears and pain of sores developed into your eye can make the tender eye turn red or pink. Sometimes use of strong eye drops to deal with eye herpes infection can also lead to redness.
- The distinguishing symptom for eye herpes is sensitivity to light. If you are not sure about whether it is herpes or some other eye infection you can check yourself for the presence of this symptom. You will not be able to focus on anything, be it your computer, or book. Temporarily you will feel as if your vision has become defective from perfective.
These were the symptoms of eye herpes and conjunctivitis. Treat them as alarm and before taking any treatment, it is better you rule out the possibility of eye herpes first. We will now see the treatment options for eye herpes and the a unique way of treating herpes is also discussed.
EYE HERPES TREATMENT
Eye herpes or ocular herpes cannot be cured according to allopathy. To be precise, eye herpes treatment is possible with allopathic antiviral drugs, but its cure isn’t yet possible using those medicines. This doesn’t really mean that eye herpes and all other types of herpes cannot be cured. There are other medicinal sciences that are making life of herpes patients beautiful by helping them with a harmless herpes cure. We will this once we introduce you to most commonly used eye herpes treatment. But, keep in mind, most commonly used isn’t necessarily the most effective one.
- You can rely on antiviral medicines given by every allopathic doctor in the United States. Treating people with oral antiviral medication as a preventive measure significantly reduces the possibility of eye herpes or ocular herpes. The topical antiviral treatment for eye herpes approved by FDA and available for public use is Zirgan. It is usually recommended for use five times per day for people suffering from corneal herpes. For further information and precise dosage, you have to talk to an allopathic doctor. The only precaution that must be taken is not to wear contact lenses while using this topical eye herpes treatment. Many people use this as eye herpes treatment and you also can use it if you are okay with some adverse effects and want to have temporary effect on symptoms.
- This was the simplest eye herpes treatment, however, it may not be sufficient in some chronic cases. Depending on the severity of infection, in addition to the antiviral therapy one can also get an advice to undergo debridement. Debridement is the process of removing the infected corneal layer with the help of a cotton swab or corneal spatula. Yes, this is quite painful, but you can avoid it with early diagnosis of eye herpes.
- The third eye herpes treatment to treat eye herpes conventionally is with the use of steroid drops. Steroid drops are highly effective; there is no doubt about it, but there are certain other factors too. Steroid drops decrease the power of the eye’s natural immune system. This means your eye will now be more susceptible to future infections. So, it is a clear choice between temporary relief and future health.
- One thing you can do is to search for natural alternatives for eye herpes treatment. For instance, instead of buying an expensive eye drop from the health store, one can use saline water as a replacement. Saline eye drops are often recommended in eye infections like herpes. Some store bought brands contain lubricants and other medications for various conditions, but you can make a simple solution at home. This is mild for your eyes and is free from undesirable chemicals.
It is obvious that natural eye herpes treatment will be more preferred and for reason well know by everyone on this planet. They are absolutely free from side effects, saves a lot of money, and are equally effective. But, may times, natural eye herpes treatment isn’t enough and you need a stronger version of the same. Apart from the natural eye herpes treatment methods, you can also use herpoveda. Herpoveda is a unique combination of many medicinal herbs strictly in accordance to the rules set by ayurveda- an ancient yet modern science. Reviews from the herpes patients who have used the ayurvedic product suggest that it is worth trying. An increasing number of people in herpes communities all around the world are claiming to live a herpes free life with this ayurvedic product.
You too can gain benefits from this and cure eye herpes. We have talked about all the eye herpes treatment and some distinguishing symptoms of eye herpes and conjunctivitis. The choice is all yours and we would suggest only one thing- in case of eye herpes and conjunctivitis too, since it is too close to your eye, don’t afford to ignore it for too long. Try to sense the symptoms and immediately take appropriate action. Of course choosing the right eye herpes treatment will bring in a lot of difference, but, acting on time can save your precious eye